Santa Fe, New Mexico has so much to do, anytime of year! Join us for hot springs, puppies, amazing happy hours & more!
New Mexico has been on our list for a while, and living up to their “New Mexico True” slogan, the Land of Enchantment truly delivered on a wonderful time! Episode One of our New Mexico Road Trip brings us to the cultural mecca of Santa Fe!
Santa Fe is New Mexico’s State Capital and the fourth largest city in the state. With a vibrant art scene, great dining, and a colorful history… it’s no surprise it’s become a tourism hot spot!
A Few of Our Favorite Things to Do
- Visit the State Capitol Building: Take a self-guided tour of the only round Capitol Building in the country Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm. It’s more like visiting a museum with it’s beautiful collection of stunning art.
- Loretto Chapel & The Miraculous Staircase: The story of the Miraculous Staircase has been featured on Unsolved Mysteries… so we knew we needed to pay the $5 to see it for ourselves. We don’t want to spoil the story, but know that a trip to see the stairs in person is certainly worth a visit of your own!
- Ojo Santa Fe Spa & Resort: Located about 15 minutes from downtown Santa Fe, this oasis has been a place of relaxation and rejuvenation for hundreds of years with it’s natural springs, creeks and streams. Today you can visit as a day guest or book on overnight stay and soak in beautiful thermal pools, get pampered in the spa or enjoy a delicious meal.
Where to Eat
We always try to find unique hidden gems on our trips and the food scene in Santa Fe was top-notch! Check out a few of our favorites:
- Kakawa Chocolate House: A specialty chocolate shop serving up unique chocolate elixirs, decadent truffles & gluten free brownies!
- Dinner for Two: Possibly the BEST Happy Hour in New Mexico! The menu features dishes like oyster mushroom truffle risotto, beef tips with green chile queso and al pastor tacos, all priced at $8 and under! Definitely a Newstate Nomads favorite!
- Sunrise Family Restaurant: We visited for breakfast and had delicious huevos rancheros and a killer breakfast burrito!
- Blue Heron Restaurant: Located at the beautiful Ojo Santa Fe Spa & Resort, Blue Heron is in the process of revamping their menu. Their newly released breakfast menu features the Capirotada Waffle, created by local culinary legend – Chef Carmen Rodriguez.
Other Things to Do Near Santa Fe
- Visit Los Alamos: Home of The Manhattan Project, the top secret government project where the atomic bomb was created. Today, you can visit excellent museums to learn about this fascinating history.
- Bandelier National Monument: Walk the Pueblo Loop Trail to tour the many cavates (small cave dwellings carved into the rock walls) or climb the daunting 140-foot vertical ladders to Alcove House!
Check out our Wanderlog to start planning your own adventure to Santa Fe, NM!
Liked our twice-weekly episodes earlier this year? Join us in the Newstate Navigators Community Challenge and help extend it through May! For every 10 new members who join at any paid tier, we’ll add another month of twice a week episodes. When we reach 100 total members, the change becomes permanent! https://www.newstatenomads.com/navigators